November 22, 2010

A Toad Preys On African Nightcrawler Earthworms

A toad surprised me when it suddenly jumped from one of the pre-composting sack bins I was checking. It was still a week off before introduction of worms but some African Nightcrawlers already found their way into the bin.

The toad was feasting on the mature earthworms but I didn't kill it since it also preys on insects.

I just covered the sack bin with newspaper as my usual practice for worm bins and folded the sack opening. River stones were then placed on top of the sacks afterwards to prevent toads from getting into the sack bins.

I found out a week later that the toad went on to burrow underneath one of the sack bins. It was waiting for earthworms to come out of the bins! I still didn't kill the toad.

After all, there's space for toads in the garden.

No comments: